This is one of the most commonly served accompaniments with rice and vegetarian dishes in mosques especially in East Africa.
Carrot PicklePrint Recipe
- 2lb finely sliced carrots (Julienne)
- 4 sliced green chillies (optional)
- 1 raw green mango sliced (optional)
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 tsp whole mustard seeds
- 3tbs tomato ketchup or 1 tbs tomato puree
- ½ tsp freshly ground/powder garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs fresh/bottled lemon juice
Place the carrots in a deep bowl, add enough boiling water to cover, soak carrots for 10 mins, then drain in a colander and return to the bowl.
Add green chillies and mango slices if using.
Place the oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, when sizzling, add tomato ketchup/puree, garlic, salt and cook for 1min, keep stirring. (Tarka)
Add mixture onto carrots, add lemon juice, mix well and refrigerate to cool before serving.
Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 8 weeks.