This recipe was given to me by a lady from Northern Pakistan, I ran into her at one of the Heathrow hotels, we got talking about food and cooking and exchanged a few ideas. This is an unusual and very yummy lamb dish.
Salt MeatPrint Recipe
- 2lb leg of lamb with bone cut into 4inch pieces
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs ground cassia (or cinnamon)
- 1 tbs freshly crushed garlic
- 1 tbs freshly crushed ginger
- 4 glasses water
- half cup oil or 3 tbs ghee/butter
- 12oz finely sliced onions
- 4 tbs freshly sliced coriander
- 2 tbs lemon juice
Put the meat in a sauce pan, add salt, cassia, ginger, garlic and water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through. Add more water if required.
Dry off all liquids cooking uncovered, remove meat pieces and discard fat, return to the pan.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions a quarter at a time, fry until golden and crisp, remove into a flat plate.
Pour the hot oil from above (tarka) onto the meat, had half of the browned onions, lemon juice, green chillies and green coriander, mix with a wooden spoon.