This recipe has been passed down for generations in my paternal family and was taught to me by an aunt in Narowal, Pakistan.
Crispy Fried Masala FishPrint Recipe
- 2lb white fish (e.g. Coley, Cod, Haddock) de-scaled or de-skinned, cut into 3 inch pieces
- or a whole Tilapia, Red Snapper (reduce ingredients according to weight)
- 1 tbs crushed ginger
- 1 tbs crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed green chillies
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 2 cups gram flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chillie powder (omit for mild)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbs crushed dry coriander
- 1 tbs ajwan
- 6 tbs finely chopped green coriander
- Enough oil to shallow fry
- Sliced lettuce (optional)
Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, apply to fish until fully coated and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
Mix all of these ingredients in a bowl and remove into a large flat dinner plate.
Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil to a medium heat.
Take each piece of marinated fish (Stage 1), dip both sides into the dry gram flour mixture (Stage 2), coat generously and gently place fish in the oil.
Shallow fry one side on a medium heat until crisp and dark brown, turn over carefully with a fork or a fish slice, cook other side until brown.
Place a layer of finely sliced crisp lettuce in a fish platter or large flat plate; remove fish onto the bed of lettuce.
Garnish with lemon slices and serve with naans, chapattis, chips or potato wedges.