A raita is a dish made with yoghurt. Different items like onion, cucumber, baked aubergine, par-boiled marrow or bundi (see below) can be added.
This one is with cucumber, if the chillies are omitted, it can provide the mildness required to compliment a really spicy dish.
Cucumber RaitaPrint Recipe
- 12 oz plain Bio/Greek full fat yoghurt
- 8 oz finely grated cucumber
- 1 oz finely grated onion
- half tsp salt
- half tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small finely sliced green chillie (optional)
- 2 tbs freshly sliced green coriander
Place the yoghurt in a bowl, add half a cup of milk or water and beat with a fork until all lumps are removed.
Squeeze out the excess liquid from the cucumber by cupping between the hands. Add the cucumber to the yoghurt.
Add all other ingredients, mix well and cool in refrigerator before serving.
Serve as a dip or an accompaniment with hot and spicy curries and rice dishes.