This is a very simple Okra recipe suitable for vegetarians.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with chapattis or naan. This dish does not go with rice as it is too dry.
Okra MasalaPrint Recipe
- 1lb okra (pick small and firm okra. Rinse okra in cold water, wipe off excess water with kitchen paper and cut off top and tail)
- 4 tbs oil
- 8oz onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger grated
- 4oz finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- half tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground fresh green chillies (omit for mild)
- 2 tbs freshly sliced green coriander
Put the oil into a wok or frying pan, add ginger, tomatoes, salt, turmeric and chillies.
Mix well and simmer for 5 – 8 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
Add the okra and stir once with a wooden spoon. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat until okra is cooked. Do not stir frequently as okra will break.
Add sliced onions, mix once, cook covered for 1 minute and turn out into a serving dish, sprinkle the green coriander.