This is a dish with a mix of tastes, I would describe it as Chinese leaning towards the Pakistani palate. It is quite ‘hot’ in chillies, so feel free to reduce or omit the chillies to your taste. My lovely niece in Dublin, California made this and her plating is so beautiful!
Jalfrezi ChickenPrint Recipe
- 1 red pepper cut into small squares
- 1 small red onion cut into squares
- 1 small white onion cut into squares
- 1 cup low fat yoghurt
- half cup oil
- 3 small tomatoes crushed
- 1lb boneless chicken sliced into strips Or 1lb chicken on the bone, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chillie powder - omit for milder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- half tsp ajino moto/Chinese salt (optional)
- 2 tbs soya sauce
- 1 tbs good quality chillie sauce
Add half the yoghurt to the diced vegetables, mix well and keep aside.
Add oil to a wok or large pan, heat, add the crushed tomatoes, and stir until all liquids dry up.
Add the washed chicken pieces and stir again, cook for 5 mins.
Then add the salt, sugar, red chillie powder, black pepper and ajino moto if using.
Mix into the chicken, add the remaining yoghurt and cook on medium heat, stirring every few minutes to ensure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan, cook for 5-7 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
Add the soya sauce and chillie sauce, mix in, now add marinated vegetables.
Stir-fry mixture for 3 minutes, remove from heat.
Serve piping hot with plain or egg fried rice, or noodles.