This is an unusual pasta dish with a Pakistani connotation, it can be eaten hot or cold, and is a very suitable and popular item at a high tea or dinner party. The fresh fragrant green coriander gives it that deeper more startling flavour which keeps people returning for more helpings!
Chicken Pasta with CorianderPrint Recipe
- 4 cups of pasta
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs garlic
- 2 oz finely chopped spring or other onion
- 1 tbs chillie flakes (reduce for mild)
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbs basic green pesto – any brand
- 1 cup fresh green coriander finely chopped or crushed
- (or use Sacla Coriander Pesto – not suitable for vegetarians)
- 2 cups diced boneless chicken
- 1 finely chopped red pepper
- 1 finely chopped yellow or green pepper
- 5 tbs crème fraiche or 5tbs thick set yoghurt
Boil and prepare the pasta according to instructions on the packet, keep it al dente, and keep it in the boiling water once cooked.
Put the oil in a large pan, add the garlic, cook on medium heat for 1 min, and onion, sauté for a few minutes, do not brown.
Add the chillie flakes, salt, pesto and coriander, cook for 3 – 4 minutes and then add the chicken, stir and cook covered on medium heat for 5 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
If mixture has any liquid remaining, cook uncovered on full heat until the water dries off. Add the chopped peppers.
Drain the pasta, and add to the chicken and pesto mixture in the pan, gently mix using a plastic spoon. Take care not to break the pasta.
Heat through on medium heat for 5 mins. Remove into the serving platter.
Using a fork, beat the crème fraiche/yoghurt until smooth, add to pasta mixture, stir through. Add more crème fraiche or yoghurt for a creamier dish.
Serve with garlic bread and salad.