A traditional way of making whole masoor the Narowalian way – Pakistan. It can be served as a soup with French bread.
Masoor WholePrint Recipe
- 2 cups whole masoor
- half cup split skinless Masoor dhal (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chillie powder
- half tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs fresh crushed garlic
- 1 cup milk
- for tarka (omit for healthy option)
- 2 tbs butter and 2 tbs olive oil (or 4 tbs ghee)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic thinly sliced
Soak whole and split Masoor dhal in plenty of water for 4 hours or overnight.
Discard water, place dhal in a saucepan or pressure cooker, add enough water to cover dhal generously and add the milk.
Bring to the boil and adjust heat to keep on a rolling boil until dhal is cooked right through and mixes in well with the water (soupy consistency) approx 45mins. Remove into a deep serving bowl.
For Tarka - Add the oil and butter into a frying pan, heat and add sliced garlic, when it turns light brown, add the hot oil mixture to the cooked dhal.