A roast chicken with a rich and flavoursome masala that is served as a starter or as part of a dinner menu. This was taught to me by my mum’s friend from Kenya who now resides in the UK.
Garnish with garam masala and freshly sliced coriander. Serve with chips or roast potatoes and garlic bread and the fusion salad.
Twice Cooked Roast ChickenPrint Recipe
- 5 chicken legs (keep thigh and drumstick together)
- or use a whole chicken cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup low fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tbs fresh crushed ginger
- 2 tbs fresh crushed garlic
- 2 tsp crushed green chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 1lb fresh tomatoes crushed or 12 oz tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chillies (omit for mild)
- 4 tbs freshly sliced coriander (optional)
Wash chicken pieces under cold water, place in a collander to drain excess water then place chicken in a deep bowl.
To the yoghurt add ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt, mix well, apply to chicken and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
Lay out chicken pieces alongside each other in singles in a large saucepan, cover and steam on a medium heat for 15 mins or until chicken is almost cooked.
SWITCH ON OVEN TO HIGH HEAT GM6/7 Electric 400/425
Put oil in a pan, add onions, fry until golden brown, add all other ingredients and cook until oil separates (bhun) and all liquids dry up. Keep tilted, discard excess oil, cool for 15mins.
Apply mixture to steamed chicken pieces, place coated pieces in a wide roasting tray.