This is a spongy savoury steamed cake made with yoghurt; I learnt to make this in Nakuru, Kenya
- 1 cup fine semolina
- half cup gram flour
- 4 tbs medium hot oil
- 1 cup low fat plain yoghurt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbs fresh crushed garlic
- 1 tbs fresh crushed green chillies
- 1½ tsp salt
- touch of turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh/bottled lemon juice
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- For tampering
- 3 tbs oil
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 2 tbs fresh chopped coriander
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut (optional)
Mix the dry ingredients in a deep bowl; oil an 8inch baking tray.
Add all other ingredients except Eno and mix with a spoon until you have a runny batter.
Add Eno to the mixture, mix well to fluff up, QUICKLY pour mixture into the oiled tray, and steam for 15 – 20mins.
Remove tray from steamer, cool for 15mins, cut into diamond or square cubes and arrange in a flat serving dish.
Tampering - Place the oil in a frying pan, heat, add sesame and mustard seeds, when sizzling, pour over cut dokhra pieces and garnish with fresh coriander and coconut (optional).