This has a kick with the chillies and then the coconut ‘calms’ it down and produces a lovely infused taste.
West Indian Chicken Curry with CoconutPrint Recipe
- 2lb chicken cut into pieces, with skin or without
- 1 tbs crushed garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lime/lemon juice
- half cup Olive oil
- half cup chopped fresh coriander
- half cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 cup finely sliced spring onion (or finely chopped white/red onion)
- 4 finely sliced fresh green (reduce or increase to taste) or a whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 10 small green cardamom pods
- 2 cups chicken stock (or stock cube or water)
- 1 cup (200ml) Coconut milk
Wash the chicken pieces, drain and keep in a large bowl.
Mix the garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and turmeric together, add to the chicken, use your hands to mix in properly until the chicken is fully coated, refrigerate for 30 mins or more.
Put the olive oil in a bowl or jug, add the coriander, parsley (if using) and onions, add stock, mix well and pour onto the chicken. Coat chicken well.
Put the chicken with all the juices into a roasting tray, sprinkle the cardamom pods over the chicken and bake uncovered on medium heat for 45 mins (or until almost cooked).
Switch off oven and remove the chicken from the oven, cool for 15 mins and remove chicken with juices into a large non-stick pan.
Add the coconut milk and half a cup of water, mix once and simmer on very low heat for 10 mins. Add another twist of lemon juice and SWITCH OFF!
Serve with plain rice or with naan or bread.