Paneer is an Indian cottage cheese, sometimes made at home but more often shop bought. It is easily available in most UK Supermarkets and Indian grocers. My childhood friend in Leicester makes the best Chillie paneer and this is her recipe with a touch of Sabihaskitchen! The recipe works best when the paneer is deep fried, however you can stir-fry the marinated paneer cubes in just 2 tbs of oil swiftly until brown and remove or use the marinated paneer unfried – with differing results!
Serve piping hot! A popular dish for a tea party or as part of a vegetarian meal.
Chillie PaneerPrint Recipe
- 8oz readymade paneer – cut paneer into 1inch cubes
- or buy pre-cut paneer if available
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chillie powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala (if available)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp powder or fresh crushed garlic
- oil for deep frying
- 1 green/red pepper diced into 1inch pieces
- 2 ozs red/white onion diced into 1inch pieces
- 4 fresh green chillies sliced (optional)
- 2tbs oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs good chillie sauce (e.g Encona, Peri Peri, Tobasco, Sambal) – skip for mild
- 4 tbs tomato ketchup
- 2 tbs Soya sauce
- 2 tbs lime/lemon juice
- 1 tbs runny honey
- 2 tbs freshly sliced green coriander
- 3 thinly sliced spring onions
Put paneer in a bowl, add salt, chilles, both masalas and the garlic, toss a little and keep aside for 30 mins or 1 hour.
Place oil in a wok or frying pan, add half the marinated paneer pieces, fry until golden brown, use a slotted spoon to remove into a bowl. Repeat for the remainder of the paneer pieces.
(For healthy option, use two dessertspoons of oil, heat, add paneer, stir-fry and remove into a bowl.
Put the ketchup, chillie sauce, soya sauce, honey and lime/lemon juice in a bowl, mix well.
Add 2 tbs oil to a wok or deep pan, heat the oil and add peppers and onions, stir-fry for 2mins to soften, add sliced green chillies.
Add the sauce mixture and paneer, stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, sprinkle with coriander and spring onions and serve immediately! (if you keep it aside, it will become runny with the liquids from the vegetables.