This dish is synonymous with Mombasa – Kenya, it is cooked in many homes by many women and sometimes men, but as with all popular dishes the recipe changes to accommodate differing palates, this is an authentic recipe from my friend who lives in Mombasa and makes my favourite form of kuku paka.
Serve with coconut chutney (search website for recipe).
Kuku Paka (Chicken in coconut sauce)Print Recipe
- 1lb chicken cut into 4 inch pieces
- 1 tin coconut milk (or 4oz cream of coconut made up with 1 mug of warm water)
- 2oz grated tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground ginger
- 1 tsp freshly ground garlic
- 2 finely crushed fresh green chillies
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 dsp freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice or bottled lemon juice
- 2 dsp freshly chopped green coriander
Wash the chicken pieces and place in a pan, add half of the salt, half the green chillies, and half the grated fresh tomato and all of the ginger, garlic, turmeric and pepper. Bring to the boil, the cook covered on low heat until chicken is cooked, add a little water from time to time if required.
Add the coconut milk into a separate pan, and add the rest of the green chillies, grated tomato, and salt. Keep on a rolling boil for 7 mins or until the coconut mixture (tui) has thickened. Take off heat and cool for a couple of minutes
Then pour the coconut mixture over the coocked chicken, mix well with a wooden spoon, bring to the boil and cook the mixture together on a low heat for 3 – 4 minutes.