I think very fondly of Totem Kiosk in Nakuru where I learnt how to make this unusual chips recipe.
Masala ChipsPrint Recipe
- 2lb pre-fried chips (homemade or shop bought!)
- 4 tbs oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 chopped sweet neem (curry) leaves
- 1 tbs crushed fresh green chillies
- ½ tsp freshly ground garlic
- 4 crushed fresh tomatoes (or 2 tbs tomato puree)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chillie powder (omit for milder)
- touch of turmeric
- 2 tbs fresh/bottled lemon juice
- 4 tbs finely chopped fresh green coriander
Heat the oil in a large sauce-pan or wok, add the cumin, curry leaves (if using), green chillies, garlic and tomatoes, salt, red chillie powder, turmeric - mix well, reduce liquids until oil separates (bhun).
Add the lemon juice and green coriander, mix once, add chips, mix a couple of times with a wooden spoon (or chips will break up).
Serve hot from the pan.