This is baked kebab pastry very similar to sausage rolls but with lamb/chicken mince.
Can be served hot or cold, with the Egyptian salad (or any other) and coconut chutney.
Kebabs in pastry - bakedPrint Recipe
- 1 lb lamb/beef/chicken mince
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 8oz finely grated onions (squeeze out liquid into sink and discard)
- 1 tbs fresh crushed ginger
- 6 tbs freshly chopped green coriander
- 6 finely crushed green chillies or 1 tbs red chillie powder (omit for mild)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Puff pastry – ready rolled
Place all ingredients (use only 1 egg) in a deep bowl, mix well with hands. Wet palm of hands and make into long kebab/sausage shapes, taking 2in of mince mixture at a time.
Place all kebabs on a tray. Switch oven to moderate heat.
Place ready rolled puff pastry on a flat surface, cut into 6x4 inch pieces.
Place each uncooked kebab onto middle of each pastry sheet, roll pastry over to close over long side of the kebab, the short sides of the kebab remain exposed (similar to sausage rolls). Or if you cut longer sheets cover the whole kebab. Complete making all the rolls and place on a baking tray.
Use a fork or sharp knife to prick pastry and brush generously with beaten egg, bake in a medium hot oven until pastry is a medium brown in colour (approx 35mins)